Have you ever encountered your MagSafe power adapter for the MacBook blown away suddenly one day and you have to buy another one? Have you noted that the joining part of the adapter and the cable have a kink in it? That is because the negative shielding has worn off. (See my photo attached!) Thus will create lots of electrical stress onto the adapter and one day you will hear the "POP" sound.
If your MagSafe is still working and wish to prolong the life span before googling "How to fix Magsafe adapter".
I have made this little clip that is able to strengthen the flexible end of the joining part between the cable and the adapter.
I have posted on thingiverse on two types. One original and one remix.
Original Design: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:137534
Here is the step by step on constructing the model from 123D Design + Assembly of the complete unit.
Step 1: Draw the Center Core Profile and Revolve
2. Select the profile and use construct ---> revolve tool
3. Revolve 360 deg and new solid as shown in second dia.
4. draw the side flank as shown.
Step 2: Extrude the Side Flank
Make sure you select New Solid (By default it is Cut)
Step 3: Drawing the Base
2. Extrude 6.5mm on both end. Resulting thckness will be 13mm as shown.
Step 4: Cutting the Parting Slot
2. Raise up the rectangle for 0.2mm. This is to attached a joining for the bottom.
3. Extrude the cut for 0.15mm.
Step 5: Center Cut Through Slot
2. Extrude thickness 1.5mm.
Step 6: Cut a Through Hole Using Revolve Cut Method
2. Do a 360 deg. revolve cut.
Note: You can also cut through via the top.
Step 7: Revolve Cut the Bottom
2. Revolve cut 360 deg.
Step 8: Extrude Cut Two Holes for Cable Ties
2. Do a extrude cut to the back.
Step 9: Fillet the Top Internal Hole
2. Fillet 3mm
Step 10: Fillet the Flank
2. Fillet 4mm.
Step 11: Fillet the Base
Step 12: Chamfer the Base
Step 13: Final Fillet
Step 14: Assembly of the Unit
2. Detach the two parts and attach half of the unit with the adhesive tape peel off.
3. Attach the other half
4. Use two cable ties to tighten the two pieces.
Thanks for reading. Hope to hear some feedback and improve it.
Anthony L (MILKA)