First thinly sliced apples and pears are tossed in sweetly spiced rum and raisins, then served in a pie shell with a spiced crumble over the top.
With a glass of dessert wine and a creamy vanilla gelato, this crumble will go perfectly with your holiday festivities.
Time From Start to Serve: 2 Hours, 30 Minutes
Total Prep Time: 45 minutes
Total Bake Time: 1 hour
Total Cooling Time: 45 minutes
Step 1: Preheat & Ingredients
1 frozen pie crust, refridgerated
4 large apples (granny smith or golden delicious)
3 large pears
1/3 cup sugar
2 T cornstarch
2 T rum
2 T lemon juice
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup flour
5 T butter
1 t cinnamon
1/4 t nutmeg
1/2 t kosher salt
Step 2: Prepare the Rum and Raisins
Step 3: Peel and Slice the Fruit
2. Core the apples and pears using one of two methods:
-use a coring tool (a hollow cylinder that scoops out the seeds and pit)
-cut the apples and pears into quarters, and with a paring knife, cut out just the rough parts and seeds in a little half circle
3. Slice the fruit into thin slices- about five to six slices per quarter piece of fruit.
4. Toss with the rum raisin mixture.
Step 4: Fill the Pie Crust
2. Line a disposable pie tin or home pie pan . If using a home pan, grease first with butter, then flour!
3. Carefully press the dough into the pan. If the dough breaks, overlap the dough. Fold the edges under, and press gently.
4. Evenly spread the filling, then create a gradual dome.
Step 5: Make the Crumble
2. Toss in the flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
3. Use your fingers to combine until in loose crumbles. Be very careful not to over mix!
4. Cover the filling, with more over the center of the dome, and slightly less around the edges.
Step 6: Bake the Apple Pear Crumble
Reduce the heat after 10 minutes to 350 F.
Bake at 350 F for 45 minutes longer.
Cool until warm to touch, then serve with vanilla ice cream.