In this instructable you'll learn my technique for making an apple pie cocktail as well as how to make a cool serving glass from an apple that will surely impress whoever may be lucky enough to enjoy this cocktail with you.
Step 1: Ingredients and Materials
- 3 Cinnamon Sticks
- 1 tsp of Cloves
- 1 tsp of Allspice
- 1/2 Gallon Sweetened Apple Cider
- 1/2 Gallon Sweetened Apply Juice
- 1/4 Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Cup White Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Ever Clear Grain Alcohol
Note on Sweetness: These ingredients makes for a very sweet cocktail. If you'd prefer to cut the sweetness you can withhold the white sugar and/or you can choose to use unsweetened apple cider and/or apple juice. In any case I would not remove the brown sugar as it adds to the apple pie flavor quite a bit.
Note on Alcohol Content: A lot of the recipes I researched when making this cocktail called for considerably more alcohol to be used. I have found that 1/2 Cup of Ever Clear is plenty and adding any more distracts from the apple pie flavor of the drink as you are very aware of the strong taste and smell of the alcohol.
- Range Top
- Large Pot
- Wooden Spoon
- Liquid Measuring Cup
- Coffee Filter
- 3 or 4 Mason Jars with Lids
The materials and tools for making the Apple Cup can be found on Step 5.
Step 2: Combining and Cooking Ingredients
Yield: 3 to 4 mason jars of apple pie cocktail which is enough to serve 10 to 12 drinks depending on the size of your serving glasses.
- Start by placing your large pot on your range top.
- Combine the apple cider, apple juice, all spice, white sugar and brown sugar in the large pot and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Once the mixture reaches a simmer add in the cinnamon sticks and cloves and allow the mixture to continue simmering for 15 to 20 minutes. The longer you simmer the mixture the more flavor will be leeched from the cinnamon sticks and cloves, if you want a really spicy cocktail allow the mixture to simmer longer but be mindful that simmering to long might give your cocktail a slight bitter flavor as the cloves and cinnamon continue to break down.
- Once your mixture has finished simmering for 15 to 20 minutes turn off the range top and allow your mixture to cool to room temperature.
Step 3: Adding the Alcohol
Note: Ever Clear is ridiculously flammable so please be mindful of open flames when you are measuring and working with it.
Step 4: Straining, Storing, and Serving
And that's it, if everything went well you should now have a batch of delicious apple pie cocktails that are sure to wow your friends and family. These cocktails are great chilled but they really shine when they are just slightly warmed up.
Continue on to the next step to learn how to make a fun apple cup for serving your apple pie cocktails that will definitely impress those who are lucky enjoy to enjoy this cocktail with you.
Step 5: Making the Apple Cup - Ingredients and Tools
- Apples - Choose a variety of apple that is crisp and fairly large in size, something like red delicious works well.
- Citric Acid - Lemon or grapefruit juice works very well, (citric acid keeps the apple from oxidizing (browning) once it is cut.)
- Paraffin Wax - This will be used to seal the apple so that the cocktail won't be absorbed through the apple cup making a mess.
- Cinnamon Stick - Used for garnishing the finished apple cup.
- Tea Spoon
Step 6: Hollowing the Apple
Step 7: Keeping the Apple Cup From Browning
Coating the apple with paraffin wax serves two purposes, first it further helps to keep the apple from turning brown and second it creates a liquid barrier so that your apple pie cocktail won't seep through the glass and make a mess. To coat your apple simply melt your paraffin wax over a low flame in a heat safe container and once the wax is melted pour it into the hollow you carved in the apple while turning the apple to coat all of the exposed fruit. Once you're happy with your coating of wax discard any extra wax that is left and you're done.
Treating your apple cups with citric acid and wax will ensure that they look fantastic until you are ready to use them. Using this method I have made apple cups that have stayed perfect with no browning for 4 days in my refrigerator.
Step 8: Serving
Thanks for checking out my Instructable, I hope you enjoyed learning how to make apple pie cocktails and apple cups. If you have any questions or comments please feel free to leave them in the comments section and I will do my best to get back to you as soon as possible.