Apple roses are a pretty apple pastry that require a bit to time and effort, but no specialized skills. If you can use basic kitchen tools, you can make these beautiful desserts!
To begin, you'll need the following supplies:
- 4 red apples (red delicious have a beautiful skin for this project, but any red apple will do)
- 1 lemon (or 2-4 tbsp of lemon juice)
- Apricot preserves
- Frozen pastry puff dough (like Pillsbury)
You'll also need the following tools:
- A large microwave-safe bowl
- A sharp knife
- A small bowl
- A microwave
- A muffin tin
Step 1: Prepare the Apples
- Begin by cutting the apples into VERY thin slices. If you have a mandoline, that can be helpful, but not necessary. You want your apple slices to be 1/8 of an inch or less - the thinner they are, the easier it is to roll them up later!
- After cutting your apples, place them in a large, microwave safe bowl. Add warm water to just cover the apples, and add the lemon juice to the water. Swish the mixture around to mix the lemon juice in (this keeps the apples from browning).
- Microwave the apples for 3 minutes on high. This will soften the apples to make them workable. Afterwards, drain the water from the bowl.
Step 2: Prepare Your "glue"
The apricot preserves are going to help hold your apples in place. In order to make the preserves easier to work with, combine 3 tbsp apricot preserves with 2 tbsp of water. Mix gently, then microwave for 1 minute and stir. It should be a thin consistency that's easily spreadable.
Step 3: Prepare the Dough Strips
- Unfold the sheet of pastry dough. Stretch it out - I recommend use a rolling pin for this, but it's not necessary.
- Cut each sheet into 6 thin strips short-ways (as shown in the picture).
Step 4: Assembling the Roses
- On each strip, spread some of the apricot preserve mixture in a thin coat along the entire length of the strip.
- Place apple slices along one edge of the strip of dough, with the curved edge hanging over the long edge . You should overlap the apple slices with each other. Sprinkle the apples with cinnamon.
- Fold the empty side of the dough long-ways over the apple slices. Starting at one end of the strip, roll the dough into a spiral (like rolling up a sleeping bag).
- Place the newly formed rose in a muffin tin.
- Repeat for each of the 11 other strips of dough.
Step 5: Finishing Touch
Bake the roses at 375 degrees for 40-45 minutes.
Serve and enjoy!