Slightly buttery,crunchy with the great oat flavor,and then the filling. Oh,that filling is definitely mouthwatering! Apricots and the slighlty citrucy and peppery ginger are meant to be together!
These bars,is a great way to transform fruits and oats into something every kid,big and small will devour!
Step 1: INGREDIENTS:
- 1 cup gf all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup rolled old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract (optional)
Apricot ginger Filling:
- 2 cups apricots,pitted and diced
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger,finely diced
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
Step 2: Directions:
- For the crumb layer:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 8×8 inch baking dish and line with parchment paper, grease parchment.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, baking soda and salt.
- Add in oats, brown sugar and granulated sugar and whisk to blend, while using fingertips to break up small clumps of brown sugar.
- Pour melted butter,almond extract and vanilla over oat mixture.
- Stir with a spatula until mixture is moistened.Press 2/3 of the mixture into prepared baking dish, set aside remaining 1/3.
For the filling:
- Add diced apricots and ginger to a medium mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl whisk together sugar and cornstarch. Pour sugar mixture over apricot mixture and toss to coat.
- Pour apricot mixture over bottom crumb layer in baking dish.Sprinkle remaining 1/3 crumb mixture over top.
- Bake top is golden brown and crisp and filling is bubbling, about 35 – 40 minutes.Cool completely then cut into squares.