Step 4: Prepare the cakes
1. Remove the cakes from the pan. No need to level the cakes if they're a bit domed. The extra height helps.
2. Flip each upside down. Using a knife, score a circle about a half inch deep about half an inch smaller than the cake on all sides.
3. Now start digging. I preferred to do this with my hands, as I was able to gentle scrape the cake innards out without marring the whole cake.
4. You'll want to pull out cake scraps until you have a nice half sphere that is the perfect resting place for a French silk pie.
5. Reserve the cake scraps and combine them with leftover French silk filling for a yummy mush. Wait. What? I didn't do that.