Our neighbor, a design team, led by a man named Kimi, we had so many memories together in the difficult early days. Together we planted some potted plants in the balcony, to help us release when tired after a whole day hard working. But as we leave, Kimi team are so careless and they often go out for some shows, we all worry about that these plants will be thirsty as we leave.
So, We decided to design an automatic watering system to ensure that these plants are still alive when we come back here the next time. It monitor the soil humidity of each potted plant, if the humidity too low, the pump automatically start to spray, in this way, Kimi team do not need to water those plants every day.
I have recorded a video for reference: http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjQwNDk0ODg4.html
First, we prepared the following modules(all parts can find in www.elecrow.com):
1. Soil Moisture Sensor. Each flowerpot need such a soil moisture sensor to collect the humility data. the best advantage of this kind of sensor is, it is really cheap, while the disadvantage is that it may corrode after long-term usage. Of course, you can also use a better humidity sensors, such as the capacitive soil moisture sensor, but you may need to pay ten times the price.
2. A small pump plus a driver. A driver is to provide enough current for the pump, my application needs a spray distance about one meter, so this pump is enough. But if you need to make a system that needs a large spray range, you may need a larger pumps, or even a pressurized device to make the projectile even farther, such as the watering system in a tea garden.
3. Servo and Rotating Platform, to take the water pipe to water the target plot. In order to control the spray distance and angle, 2 servo wold be necessary.
4. Of course, the controller is a must, i use the Crowduino platform, plus an Expansion Board for easy connection.
5. Water pipes and the power supply is essential too, and, some wires would also be help.
OK, all things prepared, then let's get started.