This is a project for my physics 308 lab. Initially, I was not sure what I was going to build using an arduino. I decided to make something with an IR sensor. I was given an idea by my instructor to use remote to control the LEDs. I saw a YouTube video where someone using a common remote to control LEDs. I decided that was going to be my project. It seemed simple enough; however, it was not as easy as I initially thought considering this is my first project building a circuit or using an arduino. One website was particularly helpful in my endeavor (http://www.ladyada.net/learn/sensors/ir.html).
Step 1: Test IR Sensor and Materials
List of materials:
Four 560-Ohm resistors
The website I mentioned earlier has a nearly step-by-step instruction. Using a breadboard with a 5V power supply, I connected an LED and the IR sensor together (initial ir sensing led on). The IR sensor has three prongs. Using the 5Vs, I was able to use a common remote to make the LEDs blink without any arduino just as a test. I used a 5V power supply rather than batteries like in the picture from the website (Initial circuit). I wanted to test the IR sensor because I have never used such a set up.
Step 2: IR Decoding
I used the arduino code (ir_decoder.h) to find the on and off times for the particular Samsung remote I was using. After you upload the program to the arduino, you use the serial monitor option on the arduino program to view the on and off times. I pressed the power button on the remote to view the times. I wanted to be able to program different buttons on the remote so I decoded the time for play, rewind, and forward buttons.
Step 3: IR Commander
I downloaded the final code from Github (https://github.com/adafruit/IR-Commander). Once, I knew the on/off times for the buttons I plugged them into the IR commander code (ir commander.h). However, I found the coding complicated being this was my first time using an arduino. I was unable to make my arduino respond to the three remote buttons. Using the serial monitor, the arduino kept telling me it heard the pulses but nothing happened. I have added the coding as an attachment called ir commander.h. In addition, the original code was designed to act on an Apple remote.
Step 4: Conculsion
I uploaded pictures of my initial prototype, my on/off times for the Samsung remote, and the arduino codes. Obviously, I was not able to complete a functional prototype, which was disappointing. However, I learned valuable knowledge for my first time working with an arduino. In addition this the link to my Github project (https://github.com/georgej2/Arduino-Project-for-308L). I would like to thank the owner of the website (http://www.ladyada.net/learn/sensors/ir.html) who helped me greatly with my project.