I would encourage you to give the surface mount an attempt however as this project is a great way to begin learning to solder surface mount components.
For my clock, I have the display set on the top of the container. I use it on my workbench which I am usually standing at, so this way is easier to see. It also creates a nice luminous effect when the lights are down low or off, casting the blue color upwards into the room.
You can select a container to your liking and place the clock face how it best fits your needs.
Step 1: Component Shopping List
This list is for surface mount items. If you decide to go with through-hole components, the resources I have listed all sell them as well and you can just do a search on the component.
What You Need:
- ATmega168 with Arduino Bootloader - Available at FunGizmos for $4.00
- 10K Resistor - Available at Jameco - Cost 0.01 (ea./ 100 for $1.00) Item # 1877832
- 220 Ohm Resistor - Available at Jameco - Cost 0.01 (ea. / 100 for $1.00) Item # 1878149
- 22pF Capacitor - Available at Jameco - Cost 0.06 (ea. / 100 for $6.00) Item # 1856783
- 10uF Capacitor - Available at Jameco - Cost 0.12 (ea. / 10 for $1.20) Item # 1858797
- Pushbutton Switch - Available at Jameco - Cost .35 ea. Item # 2076236
- LM78L05AC Voltage Regulator - Available at Jameco - Cost .39 ea. Item # 902186
- 13 LED's. I used Blue, but you can use any color. Available at Jameco - Cost .25 ea Item # 2046441
- 16MHz Crystal - Available at SparkFun.com - Cost 1.50 ea SKU: COM-00536
- DC Power Jack Connector - Available at SparkFun.com - Cost 1.25 ea. PRT-00119
- If you don't already have one, an Arduino Board. Available at SparkFun.com - Cost 29.95 DEV-00666 or Build Your Own Arduino
- PC Board (Perf Board/Proto Board) - Available at Radioshack - cost varries.
- Optional Protoboard - Available at Wright Hobbies - Cost 3.99 Item # PB400. I love these!
- Project Container. This will be used to house your clock. I went to Hobby Lobby craft store and picked up a cheap wood box for $1.99, and some scrap trim molding from Lowes for .25
- Translucent Acrylic - I picked up some white translucent acrylic from a local shop which cost $1 per pound.
- x2 SPDT Pushbuttons - Available at RadioShack -Cost $3.99 - Catalog #: 275-1549