In this Instructable I am going to show how to make a program in Processing that analyzes sound on your computer and sends data to an Arduino that controls an LED matrix to show the spectrum analysis.
I will be explaining where to get materials, explaining the coding and wiring needed and providing example programs that can be adapted.
I will be using an Arduino Nano and and a 32x16 LED Matrix from Sure Electronics.
Step 1: Required Materials/Software and Where to Get Them
1) An Arduino(doesn't really matter which version/variant)
2) LED Matrix (for this Instructable, I use a 32x16 bicolor matrix, but any matrix should work)
3) A driver chip if your LED matrix doesn't have them integrated, I will be explaining this in more depth.
Inexpensive LED Matrices: Sure Electronics: http://stores.ebay.com/Sure-Electronics
The display I use: http://www.ebay.com/itm/P4-32X16-RG-Bicolor-LED-3mm-Dot-Matrix-Unit-Board-/350527814626?
1) Arduino IDE (I am using version 1.0) found here: http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Software
2) Processing IDE found here: http://processing.org/download/