Anyhow, the idea was to make his helmet something special, so this was my Mad Eyes that I was thinking of putting into the helmet.
I am just waiting to find a suitable one to mod where the modding won't detract from the integrity. Or I suppose the most important thing here should be - should not stop him frm seeing where he was going!
That aside I have read up on a few methods to control 8x8 matrix and the more simple the better in my case!
So I decided to use a MAX7219 chip and the Arduino Uno ATmega328.
Step 1: Mad Eye parts
MAX7219 chip ( I got mine from eBay)
01. uF capacitor
ATMega328 (or an UNO)
8x8 LED matrix (again, eBay)
a limiting resistor depending on your marrix
5V DC Power supply (you'll never guess, eBay!)
I get a lot of info from the Arduino.cc web site, they have all the info you could possibly need if you know where to look.
Although there is no capacitor shown on the schematic it should have a suppression capacitor of around 0.1 uF as close to the MAX chip as possible. Most instructables also mention this although the value does seem to change from one to another.