Introduction: Are You NUTS About Sailing?
This is a great activity for adults and children, especially those who love boats. It can be simple, easy, and inexpensive. The more time and creativity you put into it, the cooler your boat will be. Here are the basic instructions on how to build your very on boat in a nutshell!
The idea for this fun and easy activity came from wikihow at http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Boat-in-a-Nutshell.
Step 1: Gather Your Materials:
• Crayons or markers to decorate your sail
Step 2: Crack the Nut in Half
• Be sure to save those shells!
• Hazard (If using a nut like walnuts, cracking will require a hammer or knife, so be sure to crack nuts for children)
Step 3: Cut a Triangle Shape From a Piece of Paper for Your Sail
• Using the edge of the paper is easiest.
• Cut the sail according to the size of your nut. The smaller the nut, the smaller the sail.
Step 4: Decorate Your Sail With the Crayons or Markers
Step 5: Chew Your Gum and Place It in an Empty Shell
• Use only a small amount of gum. Just enough to hold a toothpick.
Step 6: Attach Your Toothpick (mast) to Your Shell (ship)
Step 7: Attach Your Sail to the Mast
• You can either use glue or poke the toothpick through the sail. (See photo)
Step 8: Get Your Sea Legs Ready!
• Take your boat to a pool or stream and set sail!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.