Introduction: Arm Glider Upper Extremity Support
An arm glider was fabricated to assist individuals with limited upper extremity strength to perform writing and other motor tasks.
Step 1: Materials
- 1 piece 4” diameter PVC pipe, 8” long
- 1 piece 6-1/4" x 8-1/4" piece of 1/4” thick soft foam
- 1 piece 4-1/2” X 8” x 3/4" plywood, rounded corners and lightly sanded
- (2) 1/4" - 20 x 1" flat head bolts and nuts
- (6) 8 X 1/2” screws
- (3) Flange mounted ball transfer bearings Ex: www.globalindustrial.com part# WGB536692
- Glue or spray on adhesive
Step 2: Prepare Arm Trough
Cut the 4” pvc pipe in half the long way to make two half circles. Round the sharp corners and sand all edges smooth.
Step 3: Attach the Bearings to the Wooden Base
Attach the 3 ball transfer bearings to the wooden base using the six 3/4" screws as shown.
Step 4: Attach the Arm Trough to the Board, Cover With Foam
Center the arm trough over the board from step 3 and locate a position to drill two 1/4" holes that will continue through the board making sure you avoid hitting the roller bearings. Holes should be spaced approximately 4" apart.
Counter sink the hole in the pvc pipe so the bolt lays flat in the arm trough.
Attach the foam to line the inner circle of the arm trough using glue or spray adhesive. Trim the foam around the edges to follow the shape of the arm trough.
Step 5: Thanks
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.