Introduction: Armadillo Internet Weather Station
The Armadillo Internet Weather Station project displays the weather information such as temperature, humidity and successive weather forecasts. This project uses 4D Systems’ Armadillo-43T.
The code was originally written and programmed using a Raspberry Pi, but then ported to Armadillo-43T. The Armadillo becomes both the display monitor and the processor of this project, minimizing the use of external components. The Armadillo is our solution to the display and prototyping demands to you linux projects. The Armadillo is runs on the BCM2835 SOC combined with the ARM1176JZF-S CPU Processor with a VideoCore IV GPU in a single package. The Armadillo is developed to utilize the Armadillian Operating System, which is largely based on Raspbian/Debian OS and optimised for the BCM2835 SOC. It is packed with 13 GPIO which has 2 Single I2C Channels, 5 Single SPI Channels and 2 UART Channels. 2 PWM channels are also available which is share with the on-board amplifier with mini-speaker. It also has a USB port which can be used for peripheral devices such as Keyboards, USB Hubs, Wi-Fi dongles and Bluetooth modules.
Step 1: How It Works?
Step 2: Build
- Armadillo 43T
- WiFi dongle(recommended WiPi)
- Internet Connection
- Python-tk module
- Pywapi (Python weather API)
- Raspberry Pi Internet Weather Station by Jim
Connect a WiFi Dongle into the Armadillo-43T.
Step 3: Program
- Open the Armadillo-43T Datasheet and follow the instructions on how to install the Armadillian image and other necessary software
- Install python-tk module.sudo apt-get install python-tk
- Download and install pywapi then untar.
sudo tar -xzvf pywapi-0.3.8.tar.gz
- Go to the folder and type:
- Build and install
sudo python setup.py build
sudo python setup.py install
- Go back to the previous directory.
- Reconfigure current location and choose your current location.
- Download the Raspberry Pi Internet Weather Station.
- Unzip the file and go to folder
sudo unzip FAQ7BWLI1NULEIL.zip
- Download the latest file
- Open the file and edit the code
sudo nano FTQNY6GI916GWM3.py
- Go to the line zip_code = ‘48085’ change it to your own country weather zipcode.
- Go to Display, comment on Large Display to be able to use the small display
# Larger Display
self.xmax = 800 - 35
self.ymax = 600 - 5
self.scaleIcon = True # Weather icons need scaling.
self.iconScale = 1.5 # Icon scale amount.
self.subwinTh = 0.05 # Sub window text height
self.tmdateTh = 0.100 # Time & Date Text Height
self.tmdateSmTh = 0.06
self.tmdateYPos = 10 # Time & Date Y Position
self.tmdateYPosSm = 18 # Time & Date Y Position Small
- Uncomment Small Display and change the self.xmax = 800, self.ymax = 450 and self.scaleicon = true
# Small Display
self.xmax = 800
self.ymax = 600
self.scaleIcon = False # No icon scaling needed.
self.iconScale = 1.0
self.subwinTh = 0.065 # Sub window text height
self.tmdateTh = 0.125 # Time & Date Text Height
self.tmdateSmTh = 0.075
self.tmdateYPos = 1 # Time & Date Y Position
self.tmdateYPosSm = 8 # Time & Date Y Position Small
- Save and Close the file.
- Go to Armadillo Configuration
Screen Resolution >> choose 800 x 453 >> Save >> Reboot
- When the armadillo boot up, run the application
sudo python FTQNY6GI916GWM3.py
- Make sure that you have internet connection and if their are no errors, it will display the current weather and forecast weather on the screen.
- If you dont have any modification to make and want to boot up to the application directly, type
sudo nano /etc/rc.local
- Add the lines below before exit0.
sudo python FTQNY6GI916GWM3.py &> err.log
- Save and reboot.
Step 4: Demo
Step 5: Flowchart
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.