Cap'n ArrDrownHo! is the lovechild of Ardweeny and Boarduino and he's here to commandeer your AVR ships. ArrDrownHo! inherits pros of both and cons of neither. Pick up an AVR chip and start prototyping instantly on a breadboard! Want to replace that costly Arduino in your project with a cheap AVR, but don't know how? Use the simple plug-and-play ArrDrownHo! piggybacked onto the AVR to act as interface for programming and provide power.
I'll let the features of ArrDrownHo! do the convincing:
- On-board power regulator: Accepts 7-18V to power your AVR safely
- Serial communication pins: To connect USB-to-serial boards for communication with PC and uploading Arduino sketches
- 6-pin ICSP: To upload code or burn bootloader using a programmer
- On-board 16MHz crystal/resonator: For precise timing. Both crystal and resonator are comptible with board.
- Selectable power source: Choose power from 5V regulator, FTDI board or AVR programmer
- Breadboard and perfboard/veroboard compatible
- Tiny 1.6cmX4cm (0.65"X1.6") package: Takes only 1 extra row on a breadboard.
- Home fabrication friendly: No plated through holes!!!
- Power indicator LED
Here's a pretty bad video of it in action:
This can only be used directly with ATmega8, ATmega168 and ATmega328.
To burn bootloader or Arduino sketches, a programmer is required. You can check out my Instructable on how to make one.
For serial communication or uploading Arduino sketch to an AVR(with bootloader), a USB-to-serial converter like FTDI or ATmega8u2 breakout board is required.
Edit: Modified board so resonator can also be used for timing! If using crystal, middle pin for resonator can be ignored. If using resonator, no need to solder capacitors C1 and C2.