Since I had a lot of ATtiny2313s lying around I wanted to do something cool with them, I thought for a while and then decided to make a simple wall avoiding robot with the ATtiny2313, an ultrasonic sensor and 2 motors.
Its an easy to make and simple robot which runs on a very small amount of code so as to support and work with the ATtiny2313.
For those of you out there who want to make a small robot with the Arduino processing, but you are not able to as the Arduino is too big for a small robot, then this is the perfect robot for you!
Since the ATtiny2313 chip is much smaller compared to the Arduino, it fits in almost anywhere, which allows you to make a small simple robot which evades walls.
Note: This is by no means related to the Star Wars charecter R2-D2, its just my own robot :)
Step 1: Materials/Tools Required
- Arduino (For programming the ATtiny2313)
- 2 Motors (Gear or normal, both seem to work for me)
- 2 NPN Transistors
- 2 10MicroFarad Capacitors
- 1 5V Voltage Regulator
- 2 9V batteries (Of 250~330mA current capacity each)
- 1 Ultrasonic Range Finder
- A piece of Protoboard
- A few headers (Male)
- 2 Wheels for the motors or some bottle caps might work
- 1 Wheel which is attached to an axis (For attaching it on the back of the robot to give it support)
- A few jumper cables or just some plain wire
- An ATtiny2313 Programming shield (Optional)(http://www.instructables.com/id/Arduino-ATtiny2313-Programming-Shield/)
- 2 9V battery cases or connectors.
- A switch
- Soldering Iron
- Soldering Flux
- Glue Gun
- Small cutting knife