Introduction: Asian Stir-Fry Pie
This savory pie uses a rice crust and a stir fry and vegetable filling. Melted cheese on top.
• 1 c. rice
• 2 c. stock (2 c. water, 3 garlic cloves thinly chopped, 1 tsp. salt, 0.5 tsp. black pepper, 0.25 tsp. turmeric)
• 1 c. peanuts, finely chopped or blended
• 4 eggs
• 0.25 c. milk
• Firm tofu
• 2 tbsp. Vegetable oil
• 1 tbsp. soy sauce
• 6 green shallots
• 2 red bell peppers, chopped into small cubes
• 1 hot pepper, chopped into very small cubes
• 1 zucchini, sliced
• 1 bunch of spinach, washed
• 0.25 cups of chopped coriander
• 100 gr. cheddar cheese
Step 1: Make Rice Crust
Combine rice and stock in a pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until all the water is absorbed.
Mix the finely chopped peanuts and 2 eggs into the rice well, then press the mixture evenly onto the bottom and sides of a greased pie pan. Bake at 350°F for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, fry strips of tofu with 1 tbsp. of vegetable oil on low heat for about 15 minutes (until crispy). Mix in soy sauce when almost ready (crispy).
Arrange tofu on top of the rice, then a layer of spinach. Mix chopped red pepper, shallots and hot pepper and add them as a layer on top.
Whisk together eggs and milk in a bowl, then pour it over the pie. Arrange zucchini on top.
Bake at 350°F for 35 minutes, or until just set, then add coriander and cheese on top and broil until golden brown (2-4 minutes).