This recipe is close to my heart as well. I have always gotten some sweet treat when going to Asian bakeries. I always came home with all kinds of bread...all of which derived from this simple recipe.
Asian Sweet Bread (otherwise called Hong Kong Pai Bao or Hokkaido Milk Bread) is a staple in Asian bakeries and it should definitely be a staple in your household :) Delicious, fluffy, soft and everything bread should be.
Step 1: Ingredients
- 5 cups bread flour (all purpose flour will also work: the kneading time will need to be increased though)
- 1/3 cup plus 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup of milk
- 4 teaspoons instant yeast (this is usually two packages of yeast)
- 6 tbsp butter (cut the butter into small pieces and make sure it is softened at room temperature)
- 1 serving of tangzhong: this is a separate recipe and you will use all the tangzhong made with the recipe
For the tangzhong:
1/3 cup of bread flour (all purpose will work as well)
1 cup of water