Here is my step by step instructable on how to make an awesome pot of atole de elote to share with friends and family... or to enjoy by yourself. This is my first instructable so let's see how it goes...
Note: Yes, you can find "instant" mixes for atole. Look for a product called "Maizena" which is basically a mix of corn flour, starch and who knows what else! There are certain places in Latin America where people do not recognize the name "atole" yet will smile and nod their heads when you mention "Maizena."
Step 1: Ingredients
- 6 ea ------> ears of corn (support your local farmers, buy your corn from farmers who use organic and biodynamic farming systems)
- 10 Tbs ---> brown sugar (you can use honey and/or any other sweetening to taste)
- 2 sticks --> cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp -> pure vanilla extract (support mexican vanilla... the original source of vanilla in the world! if you can find vanilla beans evern better!)
- 1/4 tsp ---> ground cinnamon, plus some to dust the top of the drink for garnish
- pinch -----> sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ---> unsalted butter (not included in the photo)... this one is optional