Introduction: Augmented Reality - Marketing Tool (TfCD)
This instructable presents which steps need to be taken to develop augmented reality as additional information for products and packaging. We present the possiblities of this technology for marketing purposes. For this instructable a paint bucket has been used as an example. The following software and devices are required for this instructable:
- A smartphone (iOS or Android)
- Augment application
- Printed tracker
This instructable is made as an assignment for the course Advanced Concept Design of the TU Delft.
Step 1: Start
First, go to the website http://www.augmentedev.com/ to register an account. After that, download the application that fits the software of your smartphone device (iOS or Android).
Step 2: Build the Model
After you created an account on http://www.augmentedev.com/ and downloaded the application, the next step is to build a model of which information you want to add to the paint bucket besides the information that is already presented on the bucket itself.
There are two options to integrated a model to Augment: download an already existing model or creating your own model.
- For downloading an already existing model, Google/search for 3D models online or use platforms like GrabCAD Community (http://www.grabcad.com)
- For creating your own model, pick a digital creating tool like:
Solidworks (which we used for this instructable)
After your downloaded your model or made it yourself, save the model as .obj.
Step 3: Create Your Augmented Content
In this step you are going to upload the model you just made or downloaded to the web application of Augment. The web application is linked to the mobile device application which allows you to integrate the model on your smartphone. By doing this the 3D model can be linked to a certain product, in this case a paint bucket.
The following sub-steps need to be taken to upload your 3D model:
1. Go to http://www.augmentedev.com/
2. Login with your account that you already created in step 1
3. After logging in, click ‘Add Model’
4. Select your 3D-model and click ‘Choose’
5. Name your model
6. Select a category where you want to place your model
7. Decide if you want your model to be private or public
8. Click ‘Save and Publish’
Next, you need to upload and link the tracker you have designed, which will be placed on the real product. Beforehand, it is recommended to make a photo of the real product or a different reference point to use as a tracker. The following sub-steps need to be taken to upload and link the tracker:
1. Go the menu and select ‘My Trackers > All Trackers’
2. Click ‘Add Tracker’
3. Select the picture of the product or reference point and click ‘Choose’
4. Name your tracker
5. Determine the size of your tracker
6. Select the 3D model (which you uploaded in step 3.1) you want to link with your tracker at the drop down menu
7. Click ‘Save and Publish’
Step 4: Testing
Now that every step is taken, you can check if the 3D model actually pops up when someone uses the app at his or her smartphone. So follow the instructions named in this instructable and see if it works. If not, check if every step has been taken correctly.
Step 5: Finish
If everything works out, you are good to go to launch your product to the market and surprise and attract lots of new customers!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.