Beans are a cheap way to get good nutrition. I make mine in a pressure cooker, but you don't have to. You can use a crock pot or plain old stove top pan.
- 1Lb of beans of any color: black, pinto, kidney, fava... This is an equal opportunity recipe.
- Water (varies per recipe)
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 garlic clover peeled and chopped really small
- 1 cube of Knorr chicken bullion (or veggie bullion if you are making a vegetarian version)
- 1 onion peeled and choped real small
- 3 scallion stalks cleaned and cut.
- A pinch of black pepper.
And the secret ingredient:
-2 tablespoons of bacon fat (or plain old olive oil for a vegetarian version)
Do this the night before you plan on having this dish.
- Wash your beans in a colander, the beans are dusty and you want to get rid of that.
- Put the beans in a large bowl.
- Cover the beans with water, plus 2-3 cups more. I know it is not an exact measurement but each different bean will take different amounts of water.
- Let them soak for a few hours, preferably overnight.