- 2 cups of long grain rice. Jasmine or short grain work just as well. Do not use par boiled rice (AKA 10 minute rice, microwave rice),
you want the real stuff. Supermarkets usually have it on the highest or lowest shelf. Any brand will do.
- 4 cups of boiling water (The water MUST be boiling for the best results).
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- 1 tablespoon of salt (sound like a lot? it is not, trust me).
- 4 large garlic cloves chopped very small.
- A large pinch of black pepper.
-Add the rice and fry it for a minute or two. Make sure to stir it well so each grain is coated in olive oil.
-Add the boiling water. There will be a huge steam wave coming up so be careful not to get burned.
- Stir a few times, but don't touch it after this (you don't want to have Risoto)
- Lower the heat to a simmer.
- Cook for 10 minutes.
-Check the level of water, add a 1/4 cup more if you can't see any. Rice are thirsty grains and will burn up easy if not enough water is provided.
- Cook for another 10 minutes, bite a few grains.
Are they hard? if so add a little more water and cook for another 5 minutes.
If they are soft all the way, shut the heat off and let it rest for 5 minutes.
Leftover can be used in so many ways! Rice is one of the most versatile grains, and oh so filling.