Introduction: Authentic Chinese Red Braised Pork Belly
This is the traditional chinese braised pork belly in my hometown. There are many types of braised pork belly in China. Different regions have different styles. This style is what i make most time. It's sweeter than the others.
Step 1: Materials
Pork Belly: Get around 2 lbs of pork and cut into chunks.
Suger: Around 15~20g. Depends on how sweet you want. Crystal Sugar would be the best. Other kinds of sugar such as white and brown also work.
Soy sauce: Any kinds. Depends on your preference.
Oil: Vegetable oil is good enough.
Ginger: Few slices
Cooking Wine: I use Shaoxing cooking wine. This is the traditional cooking wine that used in china.
Green Onion: Give some green color for the fianl red pork
Hot water: Best with 212 F temperature.
Note:The ratio for water and sugar should be 1:1.
Step 2: Clean Up the Pork
1) Prepare some boiled water in a pot.
2) Put the pork in. Add the ginger slices and 2 tablespones of cooking wine into the pot.
3) Rinse the pork around 1~2 minutes and get it out. Wash in cold water and put in a plate.
Step 3: Stir Fry the Sugar: Part 1
This step is the most important one. By stirring fry the sugar, we can make a red sugar sauce for the pork.
I will divide this step into few parts.
Prepare a cold wok. Put just a little oil in it.
- Note: Oil is just a medium for sugar to melt down. So we just need a little oil that cover the bottom surface of the wok.
Turn the stove to medium heat. Put the sugar in.
Step 4: Stir Fry the Sugar: Part 2
Keep stirring the sugar (Use medium heat). You can see something similar like the picture. The sugar is melting.
Step 5: Stir Fry the Sugar: Part 3
Keep stirring until the sugar completely melted (Use medium heat). This is the example picture i have.
Step 6: Stir Fry the Sugar: Part 4
Keep stirring the sugar sauce (Use medium heat). The sauce will turn brown. Just like the picture.
Step 7: Stir Fry the Sugar: Part 5
Keep stirring the sauce (Use medium heat). As soon as you see bubbles come out. Put the prepared hot water in. This may cause some splash. It totally fine and be prepared for this.
Step 8: Stir Fry the Sugar: Part 6
After putting the water. Keep stirring the sauce until there are no splash (Use medium heat).
Then we finally made the red sugar sauce.
Step 9: Braise the Pork
1) Now, put in the pork we prepared before. Stir the pork to cover the sauce.
2) Put some soy sauce in it. As much as you want. For me, i use around 1 tablespoon of soy sauce.
3) Put in some water that nearly cover the pork and cover the lid.
4) Use low heat to braise for 45~60 mins.
Step 10: After Braising
After long time of braising. You may see something similar like the picture. The pork is really tender and covered with red sugar sauce.
Step 11: Final Step
1) Turn to high heat to make the sauce thickened and absorbed. Be careful with this step. You should watch the wok all time to make sure the sauce is not over thickened. The time for thickening the sauce depends on the heat you use. So, just be patient.
2) After thickening the sauce, get the pork from wok to a dish and spread some green onion on top of it.
3) Get some rice or something else you like to eat together.