Step 1: Making the printed circuit boards (PCB's)
Step 2: Electronics overview
Step 3: Actuators overview
Step 4: Communications
Step 5: Microcontroller code
1) line-forming. a mixed set of yellow and green tiles will assemble into yellow lines and green lines.
2) error-correcting crystal formation: a single 'seed' crystal will grow in a spiral to form a perfect checkerboard of yellow and green tiles
3) infection and reprogramming: tiles initially assemble using the crystal-formation algorithm. then a viral tile is introduced which inserts a new program that propagates through the crystal. the crystal breaks up and the units form lines using the line-forming algorithm
4) DNA replication: a single strand (4-mer, 5-mer, etc) is introduced into a pool of free units. the DNA is exponentially replicated using an error-correcting algorithm with only local state and local message-passing - just like the real thing.
each unit is programmed with the code which contains all algorithms. then, a special 'programming' unit is used which can easily set the active algorithm and active color of each unit.
Step 6: Overview of the making the robots
2. populate printed circuit boards with components
3. program microcontroller
4. fabricate robot plastic parts
5. assemble robot plastic parts
6. assemble magnetics into robot frame
7. assemble electricals into robot frame
still need to upload cad files for robots.
related projects: how to make the air hockey table, how to make the battery charger, how to make the test and debug devices