Introduction: Avocado Pesto Spaghetti Squash
Avocados are a superfood I've always loved. They help lower cholesterol, contain folate (good for heart health), control blood pressure levels, promote good eye health, have antinflammatory properties, and many more. This gluten free AND vegan recipe is the perfect alternative to heavy pasta. With a combination of creamy avocado and basil on top of fresh spaghetti squash, you'll want to make it again!
Step 1: Ingredients
* 1 large spaghetti squash (you can usually find it at your local grocery store)
* 2 ripe avocados
* 1 (1 oz.) package fresh basil
* 1/2 lemon squeezed or juiced
* 1 tbls. Olive oil
* 1/4 cup unsalted almonds (pistachios, cashews, and pine nuts work too)
* 1 fresh garlic clove
* 1 tsp. sea salt
* 1/4 tsp. pepper
* Cutting board
* Large sharp knife
* Food processor
* Large glass baking pan
Step 2: Cook Squash
You'll want to start cooking the squash before prepping the other ingredients because it takes a little while to cook.
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. With a large knife, carefully slice the squash in half (lengthwise) from stem to bottom.
3. Scoop the seeds out with a spoon and the stringy pieces inside and throw away or save the seeds to roast.
4. Brush the top of squash with a little bit of olive oil.
5. Place inside a medium/large oven dish (sliced side down).
6. Cook for 40-45 minutes (check periodically if you have a smaller squash)
Cook the seeds (optional):
If you would like to cook the seeds inside, simply wash off the stringy pieces, toss with olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Put in a baking dish and bake with squash. Take out after 10-15 minutes or until browned.
Step 3: Make the Pesto
1. In a food processor, purée the avocado, basil, lemon, garlic, nuts, and oil and salt and pepper.
2. Pulse until completely smooth.
Step 4: Scoop and Serve!
1. Take squash out of the oven.
2. With a fork, gently scrape out the flesh inside.
3. Place onto a dinner plate and top with avocado pesto!
Garnish with seeds if desired.