Introduction: Replacing Axe & Hammer Handles
- Fit the handle observing where witness marks land in relation to the bottom of the kerf.
Step 1: Remove the Old Handle and Fit the New One
- Remove the handle by any means you can.
- I used a reciprocating saw and a hammer and punch on this sledgehammer (see video).
- Use a piece of firewood to drive the new handle into the head without damaging the handle.
- I use a riffler to fine tune the handle shape for a perfect fit.
Step 2: Check the Kerf and Install the Wooden Wedge
- The base of the head must extend half an inch beyond the bottom of the kerf.
- Mark where the bottom of the kerf is with a pencil so that you can insert the wedge properly into the tool head
- I couldn't freeze frame a clear pic of driving in the wedges but I use a 3 lb. hammer and a wooden cushion (see video).
Step 3: Stake the Wooden Wedge With Steel Wedge(s)
- Counter-sink your steel wedges.
- Turn a larger steel wedge diagonally.
Step 4: Protect Your Tools
- Use Mineral Oil to protect wood.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.