Introduction: BAKED ZUCCHINI WITH GARLIC OIL & MOZZARELLA
A quick and easy recipe that can be used as an appetizer, a side dish, or even an entree!
Step 1: INGREDIENTS (2 SERVINGS)
ALL YOU NEED IS
- A couple of Medium sized Zucchini's, sliced into 1/2" rounds
- 2 TBS of *Garlic Oil (I make my own)
- Mix together 1/4 teaspoon each of dried Basil, Oregano, Thyme, Crushed Red Pepper Flakes, and Sea Salt
- 1 Cup (more or less, depending on the size and number of your Zucchini slices) Low-moisture Part Skim Milk Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
Smash and peel the cloves of one head of garlic. Place them in a small high-sided heavy pot with 1 Cup of Olive Oil (I prefer Extra Light Tasting Oil).
Cook over medium to medium high heat until the garlic begins to "bubble." - about 3 minutes; but don't let it brown.
As soon as the garlic looks like it might be beginning to brown, turn down the heat to low and continue to cook for about 10 minutes.
Let the oil cool to room temperature then store in a glass jar. It can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight glass container for at least a week/
Step 2: PREPARATION
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Slice the Zucchini into 1/2" rounds and toss with the 2 TBS of Garlic Oil
- Line a suitably sized rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil
- Distribute the Zucchini slices evenly over the baking sheet
- Sprinkle them with the mixture of herbs and spices,
Step 3: BAKING DIRECTIONS
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes for a* crunchy Zucchini treat
- Remove pan from oven and sprinkle the Mozzarella cheese over the slice of Zucchini
- Turn the oven to Broil
- Place the pan back into the oven and broil until the cheese gets bubbly and starts to brown (about 4 or 5 minutes - I leave the pan on the middle rack to avoid over-cooking under the broiler of my electric oven)
*I like my Zucchini, and most of my vegetables to remain firm when cooked. I hate "mushy" vegetables, especially squash, so 15 minutes works just great for me. However, you might want to stick a fork into the baking Zucchini after about 12 to 13 minutes to determine about how long you want to continue cooking it. Remember, after it has baked for the prescribed amount of time, it will then be place under the broiler for another 3 to 5 minutes.
Step 4: TIME TO EAT . . .
Although you can serve the Zucchini as an appetizer, or a side dish, A little salad (in this case, some leftover Avocado, Tomato & Red Onion with Olive Oil and Balsamic Vinegar) , a little baked Zucchini, and a little Chianti make an excellent meal!
NUTRITION: I estimate that the total recipe has about 602 calories and just 4 Carbs,, or about 301 calories and 2 carbs per serving.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.