M.C. Langer was an ordinary DIY artist until a bizarre accident (papercut printing an instructable) crippled him physically and mentally. Now, he had to rebuild his damaged body with dead computers pieces for the only target in his twisted mind: REVENGE AGAINST INSTRUCTABLES.COM!!
(What?? It was a big papercut. And It hurt so much. And the instructable was the Bacon Cheesecake Brownies recipe. I'm barely alive...)
If you want to join me in this insane quest, you will need your own cyborg attachments, so I will teach you how to make props of a mechanical arm (the clamp can be activated by spring action or motorized action, I will show both possibilities), a face plate (the eye lights) and the battle vest (the chest plate lights too).
And the best part? The props are made 90% of dead computers pieces. You will find here plastic cases of almost any kind of computer parts or accessories related with computers, PC and MAC. (Curiously, the only thing you will not find here is a mouse).
Well my minions, ready to take over the world?
Step 1: A lot of useful and important blablabla before starting...
2. Computers technical service sites
3. Trash cans, specially when they are located in front of computers technical service sites and computers stores.
Exactly, what are we looking for? Everything computer related: printers, keyboards, CPUs, screens (and, specially, screens bases), joysticks, speakers, scanners... everything!!
Try to always have an important amount of raw material (plastic junk, computer pieces, damaged toys) in your workshop. It will save you of travel for all de city looking for materials.
Starting every step, I will tell you what materials are equired for the prop. But remember: loose engineering. It's improbable you can make an identical prop, because you'll find different pieces than mine. For the same reason, I can't tell you exactly where to drill and put screws and nuts (and you will have to put a lot). So, use your creativity!
For the moment, you will need this:
- A lot of computer pieces
- A lot of screws, nuts and metallic rings
- iron angles
- Instant glue
- tin soldering
- electric screwdiver
- rotary tool (VERY IMPORTANT!!)
- soldering iron
- screwdivers (if they are electric, better!)
- heat gun
Along this project, you will need to do these actions:
- Disassemble printers, speakers, scanners and everything assembled.
- Drill and join plastic pieces using screws, nuts, metallic rings and angles.
- Cut, drill, burnish and work the plastic pieces using the rotary tool.
- Cut the spare parts of screws.
- Mold, bend and melt the plastic using the heat gun.
- Tear down plastic pieces using the pliers.
- Stick foamy or another padded material at those prop sites in contact with your body.
- Solder wires.
- Use the instant glue to fix the nuts on the screws, specially in the screws than acts as axis.
1. Always use personal protective equipment (goggles, dust mask, gloves and others), specially when you use rotary tools.
2. Work in an area with good ventilation
3. The things warmed by a heat gun or worked with a rotary tool could be very hot. Be careful when manipulate!
4. Getting computer pieces, don't dig deeply in public trash cans (only use the shallow pieces), and be careful when you dig in a junkyard. Use protective gloves. Don't use pieces found with hospitalary waste or in contact with another biological or chemical source of risk.
Well, as the great Tallahassee says, TIME TO NUT UP, OR SHUT UP!