This recipe was inspired by Natalie's "doodlecraft" Squid Ink Pasta with Eyeballs! Although of Italian heritage, I had never before heard of Squid Ink Pasta (or Black Squid Ink Pasta), and I had to find it and try it! Thanks, Natalie, You definitely need to win an award for your Halloween Food Recipe entry!!!
Step 1: INGREDIENTS
- 2 TBS Unsalted Butter
- 1 Pint Sweet Red Grape Tomatoes
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 1 pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 TBS Fresh Basil Leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Thyme
- 1 TBS Fresh Basil Leaves, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes (optional, but very enjoyable)
- *2/3 .Lbs Fresh Squid (tubes & tentacles)
- **1/3 Package (about 7 oz.) Black Squid Ink Linguine
- 1 TBS Parmesan Cheese (shredded, for topping)
- 1 TBS Green Onion, Diced (for Garnish)
- *It took me awhile to find the Black Squid Ink Linguine; I finally found a generous supply at the nearest Willilams-Sonoma Store (about $8.00@pound after a generous 20% discount).
- **I used 2/3 lb. Fresh Squid (frozen, defrosted) because that is the best that I could find on display at the local Publix Supermarket.
Step 2: PREPARATION
- Heat water according to the Instructions for Cooking the Pasta.
- While the water is heating:
- Heat a heavy pan or skillet (cast iron preferred) over medium heat with 1 TBS of Unsalted Butter.
- Wash and rinse the Grape Tomatoes, Cut the Squid tubes into 1" rings (+ or -)
- Chop or thinly slice the fresh Basil Leaves and set them aside, along with the dried herbs and red pepper flakes if using.
- Mince the cloves of Garlic and set aside.
- Shred the Parmesan cheese, set aside.
- Dice the green onion with tops and set aside.
Step 3: INSTRUCTIONS
- Cook the pasta according to the Package Instructions for "al dente" pasta
- While the Pasta is cooking, add 1 TBS unsalted Butter to the heavy skillet and heat until hot over medium heat..
- Add the grape tomatoes, sprinkle with salt, and shake and stir until they begin to blister (about 5 minutes)
- Add the 2nd TBS of Unsalted Butter and stir in the Squid rings and tentacles, and the Garlic and Herbs. Continue to stir fry over moderate heat until the Squid Rings become opaque (about 5 more minutes (you don't want then to over-cook and get tough).
- (If at any time you feel that you need more liquid, you can always add some of the liquid from the cooked pasta - I did not need more).
- By now, the Pasta should be cooked. Shut off the heat to the pasta pan and raise the pasta out of the water so that it can drain.
Step 4: TIME TO EAT . . .
Plate a serving of the Black Squid Ink Linguine; top it with a generous serving of the Squid & Grape Tomato mixture; sprinkle that with some shredded Parmesan,and garnish with the chopped green onions!
Pour a glass of good Red wine for yourself (and your guests) . . .
Mangiare e gustare
I have calculated the nutrition for this recipe to the best of my ability using the MyFitnessPal Recipe Analyzer. Click to enlarge the photo.