Introduction: BLUE CHEESE STUFFED BREAST OF CHICKEN SIMMERED IN WHITE WINE WITH SPRING ONIONS & MUSHROOMS
This is a rather quick meal with a long title! Although I did not time the preparation of the ingredients, it did not take long to stuff the chicken breast and slice up some tender spring onions and mushrooms. After that, it only took about 22 minutes to cook.everything!
Step 1: INGREDIENTS (2 SERVINGS)
- 1/2 half Boneless, Skinless, Chicken Breast (14 to 16 ounces)
- 2 TBS Cooking Oil (I prefer Bertolli's Extra Light Tasting Oil)
- 3 TBS Unsalted Butter
- 4 oz Baby Portobello Mushrooms (You can use Crimini or any mushroom of your choice)
- 3 fresh Vidalia sweet Spring Onions with tops
- 1 oz crumbled Blue Cheese
- 3/4 cup good White Wine (I used Barefoot's California Riesling)
- About 1/2 cup White Flour; maybe a little more - for dredging
- 1/4 teaspoon each (dried): Cilantro, Sage, Tarragon & Thyme
In addition, Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt, coarse ground black pepper, and a little cayenne pepper (not shown) was used to sprinkle over each side of the chicken breast before it was covered with flour.
Step 2: PREPARATION (CHICKEN)
- Rinse and dry Chicken Breast.
- Pound it a bit so that it is about the same thickness all over.
- Cut a slit in the center of the rounded side with a sharp knife; move the knife around inside the breast to enlarge the pocket, being careful not to cut all the way through any part of the chicken breast.
- Using your fingers, stuff (push) the crumbled blue cheese into the pocket, filling the pocket as full as you can.
- Once the pocket is full, flatten the chicken breast with the palm of your hand thus evenly spreading the filling around.
- Sprinkle the salt, black pepper (and cayenne pepper if using) over each side of the stuffed breast, pressing it in as you go (photo did not take). Wrap the breast in wax paper and refrigerate while you prepare the vegetables.
Step 3: PREPARATION (VEGETABLES & SPICES)
- Wipe mushrooms clean with a slightly dampened paper towel (never wash mushrooms; they will absorb water - just wipe them as clean as possible (a little dirt never hurt anyone).
- Slice mushrooms as pictured and set a side.
- Trim the Spring Onions: Remove the roots, and trim the tops removing any damaged greens. Slice and set aside.
- Mix the dry herbs together and set aside.
Step 4: FINAL PREPARATION and COOKING
- Heat the cooking oil in a cast iron skillet or heavy non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Remove the stuffed breast of chicken from the refrigerator and dredge in the flour, coating both sides and shaking off any loose flower.
- When the oil is hot add the chicken breast and cook until both sides are browned (about 5 minutes per side); remove from pan.
- Add the 3 TBS of unsalted butter to the hot skillet; when the butter begins to foam add the sliced mushrooms and stir-fry until they begin to brown (about 4 minutes total).
- Add the sliced spring onions and continue to stir-fry for about 3 minutes more.
- Add the chicken breast back to the pan, sprinkle herb mixture over the ingredients and pour the wine over the chicken.
- *Cover and simmer the chicken and vegetables for 10 minutes, or until the chicken is completely cooked through - removing the cover and basting once or twice during this process.
- Remove the skillet from the heat.
*If at any time the liquid in the pan begins to run dry, you can add more wine, or some water or chicken stock. Mine did not, so I drank the rest of the wine!
Step 5: TIME TO EAT . . .
Although it might look complicated, this is an easy dish to prepare. It is a healthy and hearty meal best served over rice along with a beverage of your choice.
While I have not been able to print-out the entire estimated nutrition of this recipe, it appears that one serving of the Blue Cheese stuffed Chicken Breast in White Wine with Spring Onions and Mushrooms contains just under 600 calories per person.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.