This is a guide on how to remove the air suspension compressor from a BMW X5, 5 & 7 Series. There may be small differences in other models and variations.
Please be aware of any safety measures and take precautions where necessary, i.e. relevant lifting gear as well as restricting the vehicle from any unintentional movement.
CAUTION: Please remember to disconnect the battery before you start any work on the vehicle.
1. Remove the spare wheel to gain access to the protective shell of the compressor.
2. Disconnect the main electrical connector as well as the air tube, which are linked to the compressor.
3. Remove the 4 bolts which secure the protective shell to the vehicle giving you access to the compressor cover.
4. Lastly, remove the cover from the compressor deck to expose the compressor.
6. Noting down the position of all rubber mounts for the re-assembly later on, remove the three mounting nuts along with the washers to free the compressor from its housing.
To re-install the compressor, just follow the steps in reverse.