Introduction: BROCCOLI SAUTEED IN a SAUCE OF GARLIC, ANCHOVIES, PARMESAN CHEESE & OLIVE OIL
Broccoli is considered by many to be one of the worlds healthiest foods and one of our best sources of Vitamin K. Even if you don't like broccoli, I am willing to bet that you will enjoy it when sauteed in a mixture of butter, olive oil, bacon, anchovies, and imported parmesan cheese - especially when served with angel hair pasta!
Step 1: INGREDIENTS *(3 Servings)
- 1 pound raw fresh broccoli
- 1/4 red onion
- 1 strip Applewood thick-cut bacon
- 3 anchovy fillets (or to taste)
- 6 cloves garlic
- 5 teaspoons (1TBS + 2 teaspoons) Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (you may consider this optional, I don't)
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon Diamond Crystal Salt Sense (or Kosher salt)
- 1 & 1/2 cups unsalted chicken broth
- 1/2 pound angel hair pasta
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- *NOTE: Although I have indicated that this recipe will produce 3 servings, the box of angel hair pasta indicates that 1/2 pound of their product will serve 4 people. However, I like plenty of sauce on or over my pasta and I think I had just enough for 3 servings.
Step 2: PREPARATION:
I like to prep all of my ingredients and have them handy when it is time to use them:
- Rinse the broccoli; cut off the florets and set them aside (along with any nice dark green leaves).
- Peel the small to medium sized broccoli stalks and slice them in thin rounds (perhaps 1/8" to 1/4" inch rounds); set aside.
- Smash, Peel, and chop the garlic, set aside.
- Dice the red onion and set aside.
- Chop or dice the bacon and set aside.
- Open the can of anchovies and place the contents into a small glass bowl with a lid (for refrigeration of unused fillets). Set aside.
- Grate the parmesan cheese and set it aside, along with your herbs and spices.
- Place the 1 TBS of EVOO in a heavy non-stick pan or cast iron skillet (my preference); add the unsalted butter and cook over medium heat until the butter begins to bubble or foam.
- Fill a big pot with enough water to cook the 1/2 lb of pasta and bring it to a boil.
- When the butter and oil mixture begins to foam, add the bacon and chopped onions; stir and cook until the bacon begins to brown and the onions are translucent.
- Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook it "al dente" according to the package instructions.
- As soon as the bacon and onion have cooked enough, add the anchovies, red pepper flakes and oregano; Mash the anchovies into the butter/oil mixture with a wooden spoon.
- Pour the chicken stock into the butter/oil mixture and stir in the broccoli stems.. Simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the stems are tender. Taste, add S&P if required (remember, the anchovies are already salty).
- While the broccoli stems are cooking, the pasta should be cooked enough. Shut off the heat; place a big lid over the pot, and carefully drain the pasta (but leave it in the pan in which it was cooked).
- Stir the broccoli florets into the sauce mixture and cook just until they become a nice bright green color (stir and mix for about 3 or 4 minutes).
- Next, Pour the broccoli sauce mixture over the pasta. Add the grated parmesan cheese and mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon. Cover the pot with a lid and let it stand until any liquid that accumulated after the pasta was drained is absorbed (about 2 minutes).
Serve while warm (see next step).
Step 4: TIME TO EAT . . .
Plate servings of the broccoli sauce coated pasta; drizzle a teaspoon or two of olive oil over the top and "mangiare e gustare!" (A glass of good red wine, especially an imported Chianti, is an excellent accompaniment for this dish).
(I enjoyed mine so much last night, I am going to have it again tonight. However, tonight I am going add some good Italian tomato sauce and a link of hot Italian sausage to my dish)!
Step 5: NUTRITION:
I have estimated the nutritional value of this recipe to the best of my ability using the MyFitnessPal Recipe Analyzer. This estimate does include a one serving of Angel Hair pasta.