Introduction: BROKEN CD ART FRAME
This instructable is to teach you how to frame artwork using broken pieces of CDs. If done correctly, the final result will look like the photo.
To start you will need:
- Safety goggles
- CDs you are willing to break
- Rubber cement
- A key ring
- Duct tape
Step 1: Safety First
Put on a pair of safety goggles to protect your eyes in case a CD piece flies at your face.
Step 2: Break the CDs
- To break the CDs cut into the side with scissors and then bend the CD until it snaps.
- Repeat this process to make a triangular piece of CD.
- Repeat the above two steps until you have made enough pieces to frame your artwork.
Note: You don't have to use scissors if you are strong enough to break the CD without them, but I would suggest using them because it makes breaking the CDs easier.
Step 3: Conceptualize Your Frame
- Set your pieces out how you will use them in your frame to make sure they fit together.
Step 4: Glue the CD Pieces to Your Art
- Using rubber cement, spread it on the non-shiny side of your CD piece.
- Make sure you are spreading the glue on the base or point of the triangle based on which way the piece will fit into the frame.
- Press the CD piece, glue side down, to the edge of your artwork.
Warning: When using rubber cement, keep away from flames or gas as the substance is highly flammable. Also avoid ingestion or contact with eyes.
Step 5: Reinforce Your Frame
- Using duct tape, tape a perimeter around the back of the frame.
- Be sure to tape both the CDs fragments and the back of the artwork.
- Fill in the entire back with duct tape to create a secure backing.
Note: You can use regular duct tape, I just thought the pickles were funny.
Step 6: To Hang Your Frame
If you would like this piece of artwork to be able to hang you need to attach a hanging device.
- Take an old key ring (or something similar) and tape it to the back of the artwork using duct tape.
- I suggest ripping a small piece of duct tape in half vertically and using that to tape the key ring.
Step 7: You Did It!
Congratulations! You have now made an art frame using broken CD fragments!