The simplest motor on Earth! The Homopolar Motor Extreme is capable of speeds in excess of 10,000 revolutions per minute!
Step 1: Gather Materials
-One AA battery
-About 8 inches of wire
-One disc-shaped Neodymium magnet
-Something to strip wire
Step 2: Safety!!!!!
- Make sure you are under adult supervision!
- Be careful to cut away from your body and others when stripping the wire in the next step!
Step 3: Strip Both Ends of Wire
- About 0.5 inches from the end of the wire cut through the black insulation.
- Do not cut the copper wire inside!
- Now pull the black insulation off the end with your fingernail.
- Repeat for other end of wire.
Step 4: Create Rotor
Attach one of the flat faces of the magnet to the flat part of the screw. The motor will work better if the screw head is centered on the magnet.
Step 5: Power
Put the pointy end of the screw on the positive end of the battery.
Step 6: Wiring
Pick up the motor with one hand so that the negative end of the battery is up and the screw and magnet are hanging from the battery. Place one of the stripped ends of wire on the negative end of the battery and hold it there.
Step 7: Operation
Touch the other end of the wire to the side of the magnet. The screw will now spin and rapidly pick up speed!