Introduction: Baby Apple Pies!
Apple pie is one of the most perfect foods, and in miniature format, it's even better. The crust for these adorable mini pies is the same as for baby pecan pies - it's an easy crust and turns out perfectly every time!
Step 1: You'll Need. . .
- - crust (see next step)
(for the filling)
- - 2-3 apples (I like to go with at least one granny smith or other tart apple)
- - 4 tablespoons flour
- - 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- - 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- - 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- - 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- - 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- - 2 tablespoons butter
(for the topping)
- - 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- - 2 tablespoons white sugar
- - 4 tablespoons butter
- -4 tablespoons flour
- - .5 teaspoon cinnamon
- - medium bowl
- - small bowl
- - measuring cups and spoons
- - zester
- - knife
- - muffin tins
- - round cutter about 3 inches in diameter
Step 2: Making Crust
As per the baby pecan pies, make the crust as follows:
You'll Need. . .
- 3 cups flour (all purpose) - additional will be needed when rolling out for dusting board and rolling pin
- 1.5 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup and 2 tablespoons butter (cut in cubes and kept cold)
- .5 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1. Cut your butter into cubes and put it on parchment and back in the fridge to keep it cool
2. Add the flour, sugar, and salt to the bowl and mix it around a bit with your fingertips
3. Form a little well in the center as shown
4. Add the water (cold) and vinegar to the well
5. Plop in the butter cubes
6. Push up your sleeves and begin mixing with your hands. Try to mix in the liquid, but also break up the butter and get it combined with the flour
7. Once it's pretty evenly mixed, turn out onto a piece of parchment and mix a bit more, but only until it's all come together
8. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at least an hour
Step 3: Crumbly Crumbs
- Combine all ingredients listed for the crumb topping until it forms largish lumps
- Pop it in the fridge to keep cool while you prepare the filling
Step 4: Get Ready to Fill'er Up
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Mix all ingredients except for the apples to form a thick paste
- Chop apples into a small dice
- Combine apple pieces with the paste, making sure all apples are coated
- Roll out the dough for the pie crust and cut out rounds
- Gently roll over each round to make it slightly larger and thinner
- Place the enlarged rounds of dough into the cups of the muffin tins
- Spoon the apple mixture into the prepared crusts
- Top each with chilled crumb topping
Step 5: Bake and Eat!
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until the top edge of the crusts is nice and brown
- Allow to cool slightly in the muffin tins before sliding a knife along the edge of the crust to lift them out
- Serve with vanilla bean ice cream, or all on their own. Enjoy!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.