Introduction: Baby Banana Cream Pies!
Bananas, sweet creamy pudding, flaky crust, and crisp meringue - banana cream pie can take a bit longer than other pies, but it sure is delicious!
If you prefer, you can leave the meringues off and top each pie with some whipped cream.
Step 1: You'll Need (software). . .
2 bananas (fresh and sliced; or frozen, thawed, and mashed gently)
For the pudding:
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon corn starch (or cream of tartar)
- 3/4 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Step 2: You'll Need (hardware). . .
- a medium pot
- spatula or whisk
- electric mixer or really really strong arms (for mixing the meringues)
- large bowl
- measuring cups and spoons
- pastry bag or spoons (for forming meringues)
- rolling pin
- round cutter
- muffin tins
- a fork or other dough docking tool
- cookie sheet
- silpat or parchment paper
Step 3: Making Meringues (Low and Slow)
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees (F)
- Separate three eggs, reserving the yolks for the pudding
- Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites until they're foamy and becoming thickened and more opaque
- Add corn starch (or cream of tartar) and continue to mix until egg mixture begins to stiffen
- Slowly add powdered sugar and beat until stiff peaks form
- Mix in vanilla extract
- Using a pastry bag or two spoons, form 1.5-2 inch rounds of meringue mixture on a silpat or parchment lined cookie sheet
- Bake for 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 hours or until lightly browned and crisp
- Open the oven door and allow to cool in the oven before removing
Step 4: Flaky Crust Is a Must
- Mix crust according to these directions
- Chill wrapped in plastic wrap
- Roll out and cut rounds
- Roll each round gently to thin it and increase it's size
- Place the rounds into the cups of a muffin tin
- Poke several holes using the tins of a fork (this is called "docking" - it allows the crusts to be baked ahead of time without rising too much)
- Chill for at least 1 hour
- Bake at 350 degrees (F) for approximately 20 minutes
- Allow to cool to room temperature
Step 5: Banana Pudding!
- Add flour, sugar, and salt to a saucepan
- Stir in milk and heat over medium heat
- Continue stirring constantly until the mixture begins to thicken
- Remove from heat and stir a small amount into three gently beaten egg yolks (reserved from meringues)
- Add this mixture back into the hot milk mixture and continue stirring
- Return to heat and cook an additional two minutes, stirring constantly
- Remove from heat and stir in butter, vanilla, and bananas
Step 6: Some Assembly Required
- Spoon banana pudding mixture into the cooled, baked pastry shells
- Bake at 350 degrees (F) for 10-12 minutes
- Chill for an hour
- Chop or crush meringues into large/medium chunks and top each baby pie with about a tablespoon
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.