First, You need to make the bun or else you will have nothing to put that delicious meat on later. You will want to do this ~3 hours before you want to eat the burger so it has time to cook and cool. I have also had good luck with store bought bread that was not really meant for this purpose. For a tailgate I used Hot and Spicy Cheese Bread from Stella's in Madison WI
. You apparently can order online, but I just stop by and say hello. Any bread that is about 12" across can work, but softer breads will be best for eating.
1. In a small saucepan, heat milk, water and butter until very warm, 120
degrees F (50 degrees C).
2. In a large bowl, mix together half the flour, yeast, sugar and salt.
3. Mix milk mixture into flour mixture, and then mix in egg.
4. Stir in the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, beating well after each addition.
5. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic (~8 minutes)
6. Let sit for 30 minutes
7. Slit top so there is room to expand
8. Pre-Heat Your Oven to 350F
9. Let sit for another 20 minutes
10. Bake at 350F 20 to 24 minutes, or until golden brown
11. When removed from the oven brush the top with some egg white and sprinkle seeds on top.
* Tap the top and it should sound hollow when finished
Let it cool for an hour or so and then slice it in half life like you see in the picture.