Introduction: Bacon Wrapped Dates
Bacon wrapped dates were first introduced to me at a work party. I've since experimented to get the perfect blend of chewy, crispy, salty, and sweet. These bacon wrapped dates are a must if you are bringing a snack to a party or if you just want a delicious snack.
This recipe yields 40 bacon wrapped dates
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 15-18 mins
(10) 8 inch slices of bacon
(10) plump unpitted dates
What you will need:
40 toothpicks (or 20 and just break them in half)
Cookie sheet lined with wax paper
Knife to cut bacon
If you are planning on cooking right after prep be sure to preheat your oven to 425°. The oven will be preheated by the time the prep work is complete. I usually make a batch the night before a party so I cover the cookie sheet in plastic wrap and store in the fridge until it is ready to cook.
Step 1: Step 1: Preparing the Bacon and the Dates
Preparing the Dates:
- Rip the Dates in half. Remove and discard the pit (and possibly the stem) . Rip those halves in half. You should have 40 pieces of dates.
- Wet your hands and roll each piece like you were making a snake out of clay(view Far Side comic).
note: I wet my hands because the dates are very sugary and make your hands very sticky. So adding some moisture will minimize the stickiness.
Preparing the bacon:
- Cut the bacon into 4ths (making 40 bacon strips approx 2 inches each)
I fold the bacon in half and cut in the center. Then repeat on those halves.
Step 2: Step 2: Wrap Dates in Bacon
- Make a little fold on one end of the bacon and tuck the date in that fold.
- Tightly roll the bacon around the date.
- Use the toothpick to hold the bacon around the date
- Place on cookie sheet.
- Repeat until done.
Step 3: Step 3: Cooking These Tasty Morsels
- Preheat the oven to 425°
- Place the cookie sheet in the oven for 10 minutes
- Take the cookie sheet out and rotate each date 90° ( this insures that they all have been turned).
- Cook for another 5-8 minutes. After 5 minutes check it every minute to make sure you are getting the desired crispness.
- Take it out and let it cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Enjoy some fruit of your labor(you've earned it) , then put them on a plate and serve.