I will never say that bacon makes everything better but in this recipe it does add a bit of crunch to the rich creaminess of this easy side-dish. The following Instructable will take you about 90 minutes from start to finish (only 10-15 where you have to work) and leave you with 12 servings of these baked, cheesy, potato bites (with bacon).
Let's get started!
Step 1: Ingredients
You will need the following to make 12 servings of Baked, Cheesy Potato Bites:
- 1kg (2lbs) of peeled potatoes
- 350ml (1 1/2c) whole milk or half and half
- 1/2tsp ground black pepper
- 2g (~1tsp) onion powder
- 4g (~2tsp) garlic powder
- 0.5g (~1/4tsp) nutmeg
- 4g (~2tsp) thyme
- 2g (~1tsp) salt
- 50g (1/2c) grated Pecorino or Parmesan cheese
- 50g (1/2c) grated Gruyère cheese
- 2 slices of fried and crumbled bacon (leave out or substitute to make the recipe vegetarian)
You will also need 2 muffin trays, a sharp knife, aluminum foil, mixing bowl(s), a fork or whisk and an oven. Having a mandoline will be incredibly useful (but is not absolutely necessary).
Step 2: Mix
Step 3: Prep Your Potatoes
Step 4: Toss
- Pour the dairy, herb and spice mixture over the potatoes that you just sliced.
- Use your hands to toss the potatoes in the liquid, making sure that everything is thoroughly coated.
Step 5: 1st Bake
- Grease your muffin trays.
- Evenly split your potatoes (and cream mixture) among the cups of your muffin trays in order to create 12 stacks.
- Cover each muffin tray with foil and bake for about 40 minutes or until the stacks are tender.
Step 6: 2nd Bake
- For the second bake of your cheesy potato bites you will need to uncover your muffin trays.
- Spread the grated Gruyère and crumbled bacon over each stack.
- Bake, uncovered, for about 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the sides are beginning to turn golden-brown.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before removing the stacks from the muffin trays.
Step 7: Eat!
Now your creamy, cheesy, salty, smoky, bacon-y potato bite is ready to eat. Pop as many as you need out of the muffin tray and place them on your plate.