For step by step photos, check out my blog above.
1 pkg phyllo dough
3-4 cups finely chopped nuts (I used walnuts, almonds, and pistachios)
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup melted butter
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp cardamom
1 1/4 cups honey
1 1/4 cups water
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 slices of orange
3 slices of lemon
1. Make syrup first. Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Let boil for 10 minutes, stirring when needed to keep it from foaming over. Remove from heat, take out orange and lemon slices, and let come to room temp. When it's at room temp, place in the fridge until needed.
2. Combine chopped nuts, sugar, and spices in a bowl.
3. Unwrap thawed phyllo dough and lay out flat. Cover with damp paper towels (make sure to cover the edges fully as they dry out first). Grease a 9x13 pan. Every brand of dough is sized differently, so trim to fit the pan if needed.
4. Lay 2 sheets of dough in pan, then brush thoroughly with melted butter. Lay 2 more sheets and brush with more butter. Repeat until you have 10 sheets layered. Brush the top with butter and sprinkle an even layer of the nut mixture. I used a large handful per layer.
5. Lay 2 sheets of phyllo on nut mixture. Butter and layer 2 more sheets, then butter and layer nuts. Repeat until the layers reach the top of dish. On the top, butter and layer by 2 sheets until you've used 14 sheets.
6. Cover dish with damp paper towels and stick it in the fridge for 30 minutes. Cut into triangles. Wipe off your knife between cuts and make sure to cut all the way through the bottom layers of phyllo. Brush the top with melted butter. Bake for 45 minutes at 350F. After 30 minutes, re-cut the triangles and return to oven.
7. Let baklava cool completely (about 2 hours). After it's cooled, pour syrup in dish and let sit for 1 hour so the syrup gets soaked into the nuts. Do not refrigerate again