Chocolate, vanilla and strawberry flavored pancakes make up this themed stack.
The recipe incorporates the healthier parts of a banana split (fruit and nuts) and purposely avoids getting into chocolate syrup, caramel or marshmallow. I'm trying to stay breakfast/brunchy rather than all out dessert. But one could go crazy and add more toppings, or types of pancakes. If anyone figures out how to make a marshmallow pancake, let me know!
4 cups Flour
2 Tbs Baking powder
2 Tbs Sugar
1 tsp Salt
3 1/2 cups Almond milk*
2 Tbs Sunflower oil
*Additional 1/4 - 1/2 cup may be needed to create even consistency between batters.
1 cup Strawberries, diced
1 tsp Lemon zest
Red food coloring (optional)
2 Tbs Cocoa powder
1/2 Vanilla bean (or 1 tsp vanilla extract)
Whipped cream or Coconut whipped cream
3 Mixing bowls
Makes 15 pancakes, 6" in diameter
1. Mix 'Basic Batter' in one large bowel
2. Divide batter evenly amongst 3 bowls and add:
- Bowl 1: Vanilla beans, removed from pod
- Bowl 2: Strawberries, lemon zest and a couple drops of food coloring, if needed
- Bowl 3: Cocoa powder (A little more almond milk may need to be added here)
3. Make Pancakes
- Pour batter on heated skillet
- Turn when edges are dry and most bubbles have broken
4. Stack a vanilla, chocolate and strawberry cake on a plate.
5. Add sliced banana, whipped cream and nuts
6. Top with a cherry!