Introduction: Banh Mi (Vietnamese Sandwich)
The Vietnamese Sandwich is one of my favorite dishes. I used to get this at a local place for only a dollar. It's surprising how much they can run for now. Well, here I teach you how to make it, for simply the price of the ingredients! Today we're making the crowd favorite, grilled pork, or Banh Mi Thit Nuong.
Chuc mung nam moi!
1 lb. sliced pork shoulder (found at asian market)
1 tbsp. black soy sauce (found at asian market)
1 tbsp fish sauce
1/2 tbsp sugar
2 cloves of garlic
salt & pepper
1 cup warm water
1 cup distilled white vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
1/8 cup salt
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp salt
1 vietnamese french baguette (found at asian market). this bread is usually fluffier because it is made with rice flour.
picked carrot and daikon (I show you how to make this)
sliced jalapeno peppers
sliced white onions
Prepping the Pork:
1) mince garlic and 1/2 shallot well, place in large bowl
2) combine soy sauce, fish sauce, sugar on top, mix to prepare marinade
3) place sliced pork into the marinade, mix well, add salt and pepper for extra seasoning
4) refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Pickling the Carrot and Daikon:
5) peel carrot and daikon. slice into matchsticks, equal amounts of both.
6) place in separate bowl. take 1 tablespoon of salt and 1 tablespoon of sugar, mix and let sit for 10 minutes to draw out the moisture. After this period you should be able to bend and twist the carrot slices without breaking
7) run carrots and daikon slices under water to rinse out salt and sugar
8) take 1/4 cup of sugar and 1/8 cup of salt and mix it into the 1 cup of warm water until dissolved. Pour in distilled white vinegar (1 cup) and stir together. Pour this mixture over carrot and daikon slices. Let sit for 1 hour minimum (or overnight for best results) to pickle.
Cooking the Pork:
9) pan fry (or grill) pork on high until evenly cooked and browned. set aside.
Assembling the Banh Mi
10) slice baguette in half length-wise. spread mayonnaise generously on each side. layer on about 1 cup of pork. top with pickled carrots and daikon, cilantro, onion slices, and jalapenos. Finish with some squirts of Maggi sauce (found at your local supermarket)
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.