Bare Bones Breadboard Arduino Labels

23,926

83

30

Posted

Introduction: Bare Bones Breadboard Arduino Labels

This Instructable is really simple. I was inspired by tymm's uDuino bare bones interface for breadboarding an Arduino, but thought that one thing was missing. The Arduino pin descriptions, D0, D1, A0, A2, etc., don't match up directly with the ATMega168 or ATMega328's twenty-eight pins. The information for mapping the pins is easily available on the Arduino web site but I wanted something even simpler. My Instructable is a simple paper label that makes the translation of the pins simple.

Step 1: Make a Spreadsheet

The first step was to create a spreadsheet. I used Open Office since it's available for Windows, Mac, and Linux and it's free for the downloading. Using Open Office, I created the spreadsheet ATMega168.ods.

The cells have to be really small. The rows are 0.1 inch high to match the 0.1 inch spacing of the ATMega 168 pins. By trial and error, I found that the smallest font I could use was 6 point Arial Narrow, and the column widths are 0.12 inches for the pin numbers (columns A, D; F, I; and K, N), and the pin labels can be 0.18 inches wide (columns B,C; G,H; and L,M). Once I made one chart, I just duplicated the chart several times so I didn't have to use one sheet of paper to print out one tiny label.

The asterisks by some of the pin labels, D3, D6, etc., indicate that these pins support pulse width modulation, PWM.

UPDATE: Users have reported trouble saving the Open Office .ods file.  It gets saved as a file with a .tmp file extention.  Instead, right click on the file and select Save File As, and enter the name you desire with a .ods file extension.

To save you the time of creating the chart, the Open Office spreadsheet, ATMega168.ods is attached. 


Step 2: Print the Labels

I used a laser printer, but an ink jet should work just as well.

Fold the labels for the legs of the chip before doing the final cut out. Those little labels for the pins are less that 1/8" wide and are hard to fold if the label has been cut to size before folding, but are easy if they are still connected.

Step 3: Glue the Label on the Chip

In this photo, I pulled back the label "tent" so that you can see the chip under the label. To prevent the label tent from slipping I used a dab of rubber cement to hold the label in place. When you're done creating your prototype circuit, the label is easily peeled off the chip leaving no residue. The rubber cement doesn't melt the chip either.

Step 4: The ATMega168 Label Is Complete

Prototype to your heart's content.

Share

    Recommendations

    • Science of Cooking

      Science of Cooking
    • Pocket-Sized Contest

      Pocket-Sized Contest
    • Microcontroller Contest

      Microcontroller Contest
    user

    We have a be nice policy.
    Please be positive and constructive.

    Tips

    Questions

    30 Comments

    This is a great way to create labels. I can think of several ways i can use this. Thanks foe a great idea.

    Thanks for the labels. I Changed the centre columns to .38 cm and the number columns to .30 cm and found they fit better for me. The number columns have a slight outward angle and are easier to see from above. Very useful.

    Given the age of this article I'm probably not the first to do this but I used OpenOffice to save the document to PDF in order to make it easier and uploaded it, it should be attached to this comment. :)

    I tried this with open office (portable) to modify it to eight labels across, but the numbers on the sides display and print out as hashes, same thing happens if I export it a PDF.

    Am I doing something wrong?

    Sounds like you don't have the appropriate font installed and you're getting hashes because OpenOffice is replacing characters it doesn't have. The original font used was Arial Narrow 6 point. :)

    I downloaded the font from here
    http://ufonts.com/download/arial-narrow/22749.html

    Had to drop the font size for the pin numbers to 5pt to fit into the 012" cell size.

    The font in your pdf looks different which is maybe why it fits better.

    here is how u can make an usbasp.. http://must-info.blogspot.com/

    link shows pornographic advert page, select the earlier blog entries
    for link to programmer info link

    A good place to convert the ODS file to XLS for those that don't have Open Office installed. http://ofoct.com/ods-to-xls.html