Got a 55 gallon whiskey barrel that you want to age your homebrew in, but don't have a way to support it? This is the Instructable for you!
In this Instructable I will share my plans for building a rack to support a full 55 gallon barrel. Barrel sizes are pretty standard, but it's still a good idea to check your measurements.
I will not cover how to weld, but I will mention some useful tips and traps to look out for.
NOTE: a full barrel can weigh between 400 and 500 pounds, so make sure you put it on the rack before filling!
Let's get started!
Metal work can be dangerous so make sure you take the correct steps to protect yourself!
- Make sure there are no combustible materials in your work area (leaves, cats, dry grass, oils...)
- Keep a fire extinguisher within 25 feet of your work area
- Flame Resistant clothing to protect from becoming the Human Torch
- Heavy Leather welding gloves, no missing or burned digits
- Protective goggles and face protection, gotta keep that modeling job
- Welding hood, don't want to burn those retinas
Chances are good that you'll be doing this work outside, and it can get hot under a welding hood. Stay hydrated fool!
Usually I would recommend a beer before the start of a project, but due to the nature of the work with power tools we'll save that for the end.