Got a 55 gallon whiskey barrel that you want to age your homebrew in, but don't have a way to support it? This is the Instructable for you!
In this Instructable I will share my plans for building a rack to support a full 55 gallon barrel. Barrel sizes are pretty standard, but it's still a good idea to check your measurements.
I will not cover how to weld, but I will mention some useful tips and traps to look out for.
NOTE: a full barrel can weigh between 400 and 500 pounds, so make sure you put it on the rack before filling!
Let's get started!
Step 1: A Word on Safety
Metal work can be dangerous so make sure you take the correct steps to protect yourself!
- Make sure there are no combustible materials in your work area (leaves, cats, dry grass, oils...)
- Keep a fire extinguisher within 25 feet of your work area
- Flame Resistant clothing to protect from becoming the Human Torch
- Heavy Leather welding gloves, no missing or burned digits
- Protective goggles and face protection, gotta keep that modeling job
- Welding hood, don't want to burn those retinas
Chances are good that you'll be doing this work outside, and it can get hot under a welding hood. Stay hydrated fool!
Usually I would recommend a beer before the start of a project, but due to the nature of the work with power tools we'll save that for the end.