This process started as the ultimate way to carve a jack-o-lantern, but other materials can be used to great artistic effect. Carved in bas-relief, the design is only revealed once the material is back-lit.
Step 1: Materials List
What you will need:
1. A pumpkin, or some slightly translucent material.
2. carving tools (if all you've got is a knife, it's going to be hard).
4. an image or an idea.
Optional (but recommended)
1. something to project with.
2. markers to transfer your design.
3. a basic graphics program of some kind.