What you'll need:
- red heel socks
- needle and white thread
- embroidery floss (black, plus team colors)
- small amount of white jersey knit fabric
- small crescent of flexible plastic (for hat brim)
- small amount of fabric in the appropriate team color (for hat brim)
- fabric paint (team colors)
- black permanent waterproof marker
- optional: serger or sewing machine
Step 1: Make the monkeys
HERE'S SOMETHING REALLY IMPORTANT THOUGH: they don't make socks like they used to. Seriously. At some point in the late 80s or early 90s, the manufacturing process for the socks changed, and the toes and the heels aren't as big. The shape of the red heel is not the same either, it's less "smile-like." Because of this, I go on eBay every once and a while and buy vintage red heel sock packages. They are almost always available, and the monkeys turn out a lot cuter, in my opinion.
Since I like to give the monkeys out as baby gifts, when I get a new/old sock three-pack I usually knock out all the monkeys to keep on hand to customize when the occasion comes up.