I saw the Earth Battery and decided to make my own to try it as I like to make things and see stuff working. Here is my experience in making it with many intentions for improvements and updates soon.
This is very basic and straight forward project.
I consider it as a proof of concept for me.
This instructable is Ultra-Fast and costs Nothing.
All the materials used here are recycled.
Step 1: Materials and Set-up
It really needs very simple materials and tools.
Copper wire ( I used a piece from old coaxial cable )
Soil ( or dirt from street )
Step 2: Prepare the Stuff
Open the can with the can opener and remove its top.
Fill the can with soil or dirt.
Make turns using copper wire and put them inside the soil without letting them touch the can wall.
Put water inside the can to make the soil wet.
Step 3: Getting the Output
Connect a couple of crocodile clips with the copper wire and the can wall.
Measure the output voltage using the voltmeter.
The +ve pole is the copper side and the -ve pole is the can wall.
I got 0.29V to 0.4V .
Not much voltage, but very rewarding as all the stuff used for making this instructable are recycled materials and regarded as GARBAGE ( I really paid Nothing in this instructable )!!!!!!!!!
Also the total working time for this instructable is less than 30 minutes.
Some notes :
The soda can is made of aluminum or aluminum alloy. The Copper and Aluminum was the used pair in this battery.
Improvements TO DO :
- Trying other material as couples in the Periodic Table that may give better performance.
- Connecting the output to a Joule Thief circuit.
- Connecting the output to an LED.
- Putting more metals or increasing the surface.
- Connecting more batteries in series.
- Using soil in my small indoors garden as battery and electric source beside the plants. ( Just adding metal plates to the soil and connecting electric connectors. )
Thank you for reading my instructable.
You can also find my book Learn By Making on Amazon website.
If you like this instructable you can support us by many ways:
1. Leave comments stating your point of view about this article.
2. Buy our book on Amazon Learn By Making.
3. Click on links of our sponsors without adding any extra cost on you if you make purchase from them. Actually, many of these offers are totally free. This means that you can enjoy something for free and still support our blog to keep posting useful stuff.
This is the well-know Amazon Kindle platform. If you sign up for the free reader from Amazon to read any book, we get commission. There are many useful book for free on Amazon Kindle. Even you can find best sellers offered for free on Kindle format. The best part is you can have the application on any platform. You can even read any book without installing any application by using Amazon Cloud-Reader on your browser.
You can join Amazon Kindle for 30 days free to have access to many paid book for free. You can cancel you subscription anytime.
The Amazon Prime is a special paid service from Amazon that offers good promotions and one-day free shipment for Amazon Shoppers. You can try this service for 30 days. You can cancel you subscription anytime.
Audible is the audio books website from Amazon. Many Kindle books are sold on Audible. You can try this service for free and get 2 free book. You can cancel you subscription anytime.
If you have a new baby borne or expecting one, you can create your free baby registry to easily save products and get offers and promotions on baby requirements.
4. Visit our new website outatime.tech.
Thank you for visiting our instructable.