Customize your perfect smoothie with this easy, basic smoothie recipe! The basic ingredients in my smoothies are:
- Fruit -I use frozen fruit because it's easy to come by, easy to store, and frozen at its peak of ripeness, so you never have to worry about it going off.
- Banana - everyone I know adds half a banana to their smoothie. I don't like bananas (unless they're ice cream.) But they're good for potassium, and for making a thick, smooth shake.
- Juice - juice makes the frozen fruit easier to blend and the resulting smoothie easier to drink. If you are using fresh fruit, you can probably skip this part.
- Dairy (or non-dairy) - I use nonfat greek yogurt for my dairy and to boost the protein content. Milk, almond milk, soy milk, etc. can also be substituted
- Supplements - optional. I like to use a blend of spirulina (green energy!) and protein powder. You can also add a good dose of liquid vitamins, amino acids, probiotics, freshly ground flax seeds, or whatever you like. I try to avoid too many additives though, because it can change the flavor of your resulting smoothie.
If you really must make it sweeter, try a drop of honey or use a naturally sweet juice, like apple.
This smoothie was made with frozen blueberries and mango, non-fat Greek yogurt, pomegranate juice for an anitoxidant boost, and Spirutein
. I use an immersion blender to mix it up, but I also love using my Magic Bullet!
Of course, the beauty of the smoothie is there's no one right way to make it. Have fun, and good health!