Introduction: Basic Sponge Cake Base Recipe
This is a tutorial on how to make a basic plain sponge cake. If you are
looking for some extra flavour, simply use a few drops of vanilla essence or any other essence that you like.
Enjoy easy recipes!
Step 1: Ingredients:
6 Eggs (medium – large)
250 g Caster Sugar
250 g Plain Flour
100 ml Warm Water
100 ml Vegetable/Sunflower Oil
12 g Baking Powder
Step 2: Method:
1. Preheat the oven to 185 C
2. Separate the eggs. Place the egg whites and egg yolks in 2 bowls. Use a larger bowl for the egg
3. Beat the egg whites until stiff & set aside.
4. Add caster sugar to egg yolks and mix until nice and pale.
5. Add flour – sifted, oil & water & mix until all ingredients are well blended and the batter is
6. Now fold in the egg whites.
7. Pour the mixture into a cake tin/spring form lined with baking parchment (grease the sides of the
tin as well)
8. Bake at 185⁰C for 30-35 minutes or until baked throughout. Check with a skewer or a cake tester
to see if it’s ready.
9. Let it cool completely before taking it out from the tin/cutting & filling it.