Here are the parts I used. The link directs to the product page where I purchased them to give you an idea if you are unsure what you are looking for (or to see how much/if I got ripped off). All prices in AU$ at time of posting.
Obviously substitute parts and suppliers where applicable for your location. I think you can get pretty much everything here from SparkFun, but I listed Altronics as they are a good source for parts in Australia.
- 1 x 5.5V 1F Supercap - Altronics
- 1 x 5mm Blue High Intensity LED - LSDiodes
$0.75ish depending on exchange rate
- 1 x 18 Ohm resistor - DSE
- 1 x mini push button toggle switch - SparkFun
- 1 x Verobaord, 310mm x 95mm, 0.1" spacing - DSE
- $7.99 - OK I didn't actually buy this, I used leftover scraps, but this is what you'd buy. You only need a small bit, so I'll count 1/10th of the price (even that's way too much)
So total is AU$6.13. Definately acheived goal.
Yes the capacitor looks like a coin-cell battery. Trust me, I'm not trying to cheat, that's what it looks like.